Wednesday 3 November 2010

Diary entry #005

As usual, I attended the club on Monday.

Dave and I continued our search for a set of ECW rules we can use with our 10mm armies that we bought as a project some two years ago.
So far we have tried Forlorne Hope; too much dice throwing for very little effect, Warmaster Ancient battle: ECW supplement; too reliant on luck and several free sets that were not scaling too well.
This time we are trying Regiment of Foote from the Peter Pig stable. We have previously worked out two armies and gone through the campaign stage to end up with Dave defending with an army that hardly suffered from the rigours of campaign and me attacking with an army that did not enjoy the march.
Following the game plan in the rules, we threw some terrain down (I chose close terrain because I had some skirmishers and wanted to see what they could do) while Dave selected a good cross section of items.
On then to deployment; Dave put his central command down first, my left wing followed, then Dave's right wing, my centre and finally Dave's right and my left wings went down.
Now, once again, I am going to be brief.
The battle progresses slowly as it was our first run through. I had trouble activating my central command while Dave held his ground. On mt right, Dave tried pushing into my force with a wing that was depleted by stragglers. The initial infantry clash was inconclusive and carried over. My skirmishers were holding a steep hill against another infantry unit. The next turn saw my cavalry intervene in the infantry fight and wiped out Dave's unit. His other unit, facing the skirmishers, promptly routed on seeing the fall of their comrades. The general started heading back for his stragglers.
On my left, the main cavalry forces came to blows in a to and fro action. Dave eventually won that fight due to activation failures.
Back in the centre, my attack had become fragmented and one of two units that had pushed forward was destroyed. The other came under heavy musketry fire and woulds have probably routed had we continued, but time ran out.
All in all, I enjoyed the game. The lack of activation in the centre was frustrating, but the rules gave believable results. We have agreed to give them another try.

A final note; while we are trying to find a suitable set of rules and our models are being prepared, we are using card counters. For this battle I downloaded some pics and Dave made the counters using these.
here is a few pictures of them in the game..
 This picture shows my centre and left close to the end of the battle. The three near infantry had failed to move all game.

And finally, I've uploaded some pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Counters :)

    That is a COOL and CLEVER way of getting to know the rules with the right size of army without having to spend six months painting (or forgetting to paint)them.

    It also takes the paint out of debasing :)

    ReplyDelete